Jump Main Menu. Go directly to the main content

Monuments

Start of main content

Chapel of Luis de Lucena

Chapel of Luis de Lucena

Funerary architecture

Opening hours: Fridays and Saturdays, 10.30 am to 2pm; 4.30 to 6.30 pm (Winter); 5 to 7 pm (Summer). Sundays and Public Holidays, from 10.30 am to 2 pm.

Direction: Cuesta de San Miguel, s/n, Guadalajara.

Telephone: 949 887 099

One of the most interesting buildings in Guadalajara is on Cuesta de San Miguel, the hill that goes from Santa Maria to the city centre: the funeral chapel of Luis de Lucena.

Entry ticket: 1€ (monument included in Guadalajara Card).

The chapel was once adjacent to the church of San Miguel which no longer exists. The brickwork is in the traditional mudejar style, but its capricious style is more in the line of 16th century Mannerism. It was founded and perhaps designed by the humanist Luis de Lucena in 1540.

Little round towers under an unusual eave on the outside walls of the Chapel of Lucena imitate a military construction. According to Herrera Casado, it is probably a reference to the Fortaleza de la Fe, or possibly, according to Muñoz Jiménez, the Temple of Solomon.

The inside of the chapel is no less fanciful: the pilasters are a mix of Doric and Jonic styles, and the dais serves as a base for a spiral staircase leading to the upper floor. The vaults were painted probably by Rómulo Cincinato, who also worked on the palace of El Infantado. They are painted with symbolic and Erasmic iconography.

360º virtual tour

Accessibility

  • Difficult approach route.
  • Access to the upper floor is by spiral staircase only.

How to get there

End of main content