Jump Main Menu. Go directly to the main content


Start of main content

Church of El Carmen

Church of El Carmen

Religious architecture

Opening hours: Mondays to Sundays, from 9.30 am to 1 pm and from 5.30 pm to 7.45 pm.

Direction: Plaza del Carmen, 1, Guadalajara.

Telephone: 949 225 694

From the south of plaza del Jardinillo, the road leads by the right to the plaza and church of El Carmen. The church was once part of the convent of Los Santos Reyes de la Epifanía (Holy Kings of the Epiphany), of the discalced Carmelites, and today is a Franciscan friary.

Free entry.

Both church and convent were designed in 1632 by Friar Alberto de la Madre de Dios. He situated the front of the church at the bottom of an atrium formed by the buildings of the convent. In this way he created an independent space of architectural and urban interest, that provided the perspective needed to contemplate the main façade of the building.

The façade is determined by the vertical lines that the pillars mark and by the contrast between brick and stone. The brick, used in all the upper part, and the stone, in the five arches of the lower part and in the decorative elements of the upper section: the coats of arms of the founder of the convent, Baltasar Meléndez, that of the Carmelite order, the large decorative slabs, the vaulted niche and the window.

Inside the church, which has three naves, a choir grill on the epistle side protects the tomb of the Monja de las Llagas (the Nun of the Stigmata), counselor to Isabella, Sister Patrocinio, who spent the final years of her life here.


There is a step at the entrance.

How to get there

End of main content