Jump Main Menu. Go directly to the main content


Start of main content

Church of San Nicolás

Church of San Nicolás

Religious architecture

Opening hours: Mondays to Sundays, from 10 am to 1 pm and from 5 pm to 8 pm.

Direction: C/ Mayor, 21, Guadalajara.

Telephone: 949 212 070

Web: Visit the website

Plaza del Jardinillo (Small Garden) at the top of calle Mayor is one of best loved corners of Guadalajara, a favourite with the children who play around the 16th century statue of Neptune.

Free entry.

The church of San Nicolás (St Nicholas) stands on one side and, almost unnoticed, the rusticated façade of the Palace of the Counts of Coruña. On another side is the Bank of Spain, built in 1934.

The church of San Nicolás, work on which began in 1647, was first attached to the Jesuit College of La Trinidad, founded by the Lasarte family in 1619. Its brick front sets off an imposing barroque stone entry built at the end of the 17th century. A statue of Faith set in a vaulted niche presides over a representation of the Holy Trinity.

The interior of San Nicolás, built in classic jesuit style, houses two objects of special value: the high altar and the recumbent statue of the comendador Rodrigo de Campuzano, which stands to the right of the entrance.

Tomb of Rodrigo de Campuzano

This statue was moved here in the 19th century from the original church of San Nicolás, which stood on the present site of the Bank of Spain. It was sculpt in Guadalajara at the end of the 15th century and has been compared to the statue of El Doncel in the cathedral of Sigüenza for its perfection of form.


There is a step at the entrance.

How to get there

End of main content